About the Program
With a shortage of skilled workers across the trade industry, the Apprenticeship Service Program makes it easier for small to medium-sized enterprises to hire first-year apprentices in Red Seal trades across Canada through financial incentives funded by the Government of Canada’s Apprenticeship Service, and in partnership with EHRC (Electricity Human Resources Canada)
Your organization may receive up to $5,000 when hiring a first-year apprentice; or up to $10,000 when hiring a self-identified equity deserving first-year apprentice.
Apprentice Participant Requirements
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or be a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Have an Active Apprenticeship Agreement with an SME and be a 1st year apprentice
- Not be a family member of the employers’ directors or senior officers
- No age limit requirement
Employer Participant Requirements
- Must be a small to medium-sized enterprise (less than 499 employees)
- Canadian owned or Canadian subsidiary
- Apprentice must be new to the organization
- Provide a minimum 3-month placement
Apply for Funding
Complete a brief online application and the Employment Program Team will advise if your position is eligible for funding.
The Apprenticeship Service supports employers to hire new first-year apprentices in 39 Red Seal trades. It also helps first-year apprentices get the hands-on work experience they need for a career in the skilled trades
How the program works
ESDC funds organizations that work with employers in the skilled trades. The organizations give financial support to small and medium-sized employers to hire first-year apprentices:
- $5,000 for each eligible new first-year apprentice hired
- $10,000 if the apprentice hired is from an equity-deserving group
They also provide other supports to employers to help them take part in apprenticeship.
How to Apply
Interested small and medium-sized employers are invited to contact the appropriate mandated intermediary or visit their website for details.
Employers with 499 or fewer paid employees can receive the financial support.